Re: native packages

On 1/23/07, Thijs Kinkhorst <thijs@debian.org> wrote:
On Tue, 2007-01-23 at 21:34 +1100, Andrew Donnellan wrote:
> What exactly are the advantages and disadvantages of making a
> Debian-native package, and is there any real policy or practice?

I think this is a good rule:

        If the source is published outside of Debian,
        do not make a native package.

The disadvantage of a native package is that there's no clear
separatation of what is upstream and what changes are made by Debian.
There's no clear advantage of using a native package as far as I know.
You only use a native package when there just isn't such a thing as an
upstream tarball (i.e.: there is no upstream, the package is only
developed within Debian).

In this particular project I am a member of upstream (packager,
proofreader and copywriter for English website) and I want to store my
debian/ directory in upstream's SVN as it makes it much easier for me
to manage snapshots, updates, and so on.

If debian-native packages are discouraged then is there a good way to
keep the debian/ dir with upstream's VCS?

--
Andrew Donnellan
ajdlinuxATgmailDOTcom (primary)    ajdlinuxATexemailDOTcomDOTau (secure)