Re: SVN snapshot versioning

On Tue, Jan 23, 2007 at 09:35:38AM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:

> As commented elsewhere, normal release numbers do not have any date
> component and you've still got the problem that multiple svn commits
> are frequently made on the same day. The date, in this context, is just
> misleading and would need to be a full UTC timestamp to have any real
> meaning. The revision number is far more precise and just like a normal

I'm sorry, but I think this is bogus.  For every one free software
project that has a situation where the make multiple *significant*
commits in a single calendar day, there are probably 100 which average
less then a single commit per day or for which the last commit of the
day is the most "significant".  The case you mention, I believe, is by
far the exception and not the rule.

> 1:2.3.4-5 release string, you would need to refer to the upstream
> website(s) to determine the date of the release. The advantage of just
> using the svn 'r' number is that it makes this information available
> precisely and without duplication. Looking up that 'r' number not only
> tells you the date - just as looking up a normal release string would
> do - it also uniquely identifies the point at which the upstream code
> was packaged - again, just as a release string is intended to do.

I see your point.

Regards,

-Roberto

--