Re: [Pkg-ime-devel] RFS: scim-kmfl-imengine

Ming Hua wrote:
Scim package is already set up to handle all_ALL, it just doesn't set it
to default (and it shouldn't). I believe no packages that currently use
im-switch change all_ALL by default.
Can you explain what you mean by scim being set up to handle all_ALL? On all the Debian and Ubuntu systems I have seen /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/all_ALL is linked to /etc/alternatives/xinput-all_ALL which is linked to /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/default. From what I can see, since all_ALL is ultimately linked to default, then the default behaviour for any locale which does not have an input method explicitly assigned to it via im-switch is to have no input method. Is it that /var/lib/dpkg/alternatives/xinput-all_ALL has entries for both scim and scim-immodule, and thus provides the ability to use im-switch or update-alternatives to set the im for all_ALL to scim or scim-immodule? I think a light bulb just went on in my head and I now understand the alternative system a bit better.
I feel the best way to handle the
situation in scim-kmfl-engine is to have a debconf question explaining
the need to use GTK+ IM module, then offer to set it, with default to no
(I still don't think it shouldn't be changed unless the user/admin
explicitly asks). And when the answer to the question is yes, do things
along the line of "update-alternatives --set xinput-all_ALL
/etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim-immodule" or "im-switch -z all_ALL -s
scim-immodule".
This makes sense. Right now, I am anxious to get scim-kmfl-imengine into Debian before Dec. 13 since this is the cut off date for Ubuntu's Hardy Heron. I am not sure if this is possible now, but if it would make it easier for a sponsor to upload kmfl to Debian, I would be willing to forgo having scim-kmfl-imengine do any postint/prerm. Perhaps I would add it at a later date, when all the ramifications have been sorted out.

A quick search on the web shows that kmfl is being used with Ubuntu/Debian distros despite there not being a complete version in Debian. It would be good to make it official.

Doug Rintoul.