Re: [Pkg-ime-devel] RFS: scim-kmfl-imengine

Ming Hua wrote:

This "broke" kmfl as well as a few other things. I realize this is not
a Debian problem, but an Ubuntu problem.

Then please at least keep the Debian package simple, and add the extra
measures to the Ubuntu package.

I am fine with this. The less I have in kmfl, the less I have to maintain.
The solution given was to edit /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim and change
the xim references to scim.

This is just plainly misinformed suggestion.  Ubuntu also ships the
scim-immodule setting, the proper way has always been using im-switch,
instead of changing the configurations file.  I've seen such suggestions
given elsewhere, I just don't have time to correct it every time I see
it.
I was trying to remember why I did not think scim-immodule a good solution and then realized that the qt im module was disabled in the gutsy version. But I see that the current SCIM debian package does have support for both qt and gtk immodules.

This is a good option, however for reasons stated above I would rather have the user use the scim-kmfl im-switch file rather than the scim im-switch file. But I am open to suggestions.

I can guarantee that scim package's im-switch setting won't change
randomly.  And when it changes, upgrade path will be provided so that
packages that depend on it won't break.

I think as the maintainer, it's eventually your decision (and your
sponsor's decision) to make.  But I'll just make it clear that I'm very
against the idea of SCIM IM engine packages shipping their own im-switch
settings.

I will be glad to remove the scim-kmfl im-switch file from the scim-imengine package since scim-immodule now covers all of kmfl's needs. And I will use the debconf question to offer to set im-switch to scim-immodule if you think that would be acceptable.

Thanks Ming for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated.

Doug.