Re: [Pkg-ime-devel] RFS: scim-kmfl-imengine

On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 03:52:38PM -0800, Doug Rintoul wrote:
> Ming Hua wrote:
> > I am curious about how you are going to set im-switch though. Are you
> > going to set them just for several specific languages? Or are you going
> > to set the all_ALL (pseudo-)locale setting? Or is there another way to
> > set it for all languages that I don't know?
>
> My initial thought was to set it for the default language, i.e. the
> language specified at installation time. The code I have written to do
> this is as follows:
>
> # use im-switch to set up the scim environment
> tmplang=${LC_ALL:-${LC_CTYPE:-${LANG}}}
>
> tl=${tmplang%%.*}
> update-alternatives --install /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/$tl xinput-$tl \
> /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim-immodule 50
> im-switch -s scim-immodule -l $tmplang

Hmm.

On Sat, Dec 08, 2007 at 02:36:18PM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 07, 2007 at 05:31:20PM -0600, Ming Hua wrote:
> > > And I will use the debconf question to offer to set im-switch to
> > > scim-immodule if you think that would be acceptable.
> >
> > I have absolutely no problem with that. Im-switch setting, being a part
> > of the alternative system, is always for system admin to change.  And
> > debconf question is a good way to do that.
>
> Are you sure.  If 2 packages play on one configuration file, then
> depending on upgrade sequence, it may conflict.

You are right, the way Doug proposes (recreate the
/etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/<ll_CC> alternative links with different
priority) indeed will cause conflicts.

When I said "I have absolutely no problem", I was not thinking about
things like this.  What I had in mind was more like:

If ll_CC locale is not handled by scim (currently scim handles all_ALL,
ja_JP, ko_KR, zh_{CN,TW,HK,SG}):
    run "update-alternatives --install" to register im-switch for this
    new language

If ll_CC locale is not handled by scim:
    run "update-alternatives --set xinput-<ll_CC>
    /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim-immodule", to set the alternative to
    manual status as scim-immodule.

This approach is still a bit fragile though, as it needs to be
synchronized with scim's im-switch locale list.

I thought scim-kmfl-engine would know exactly which languages it wants
to set im-switch for, instead of the system default language as Doug
proposed.

I need to think a bit more about this.

Regards,
Ming