Re: Package requiring a customised version of libc6

Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> Then what about using ptrace and overriding syscalls in the way
> usermodelinux used to do it?

Yes, indeed; that is currently looking like the best approach. Not only does
it provide the low-level interface that upstream wants, but it also works on
statically bound binaries and on anything else that makes syscalls directly.
I'm a little worried about performance, but it can't be that bad or UML
wouldn't use it.

I'll suggest it to upstream. Thanks for the link.

(Incidentally, the more I look at fakechroot the more I'm coming to believe
that it's no use for anything whatsoever. The security aspects of it are...
erm... nil; it's trivial for the client app to break out of its jail. Is this
a potential problem?)

- --
┌── dg@cowlark.com ─── http://www.cowlark.com ───────────────────
│ "There does not now, nor will there ever, exist a programming language in
│ which it is the least bit hard to write bad programs." --- Flon's Axiom
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)