Re: mini-dinstall, repository signing and apt-get authentication

On 31 Jul 2007 13:59:34 -0400, Ian Zimmerman <itz@madbat.mine.nu> wrote:
> Cameron> How is uploading complicated? I added a post-upload script to
> Cameron> dupload so I can just do (on any machine) "dupload --to sid
> Cameron> foo.changes && apt-get update" and it all just works, I don't
> Cameron> even have to log in to the reprepro machine.
>
> dupload??  Cheesus.  I don't even know what that is.

Are you completely against using tools to make your life easier?
You're saying you want it to be less complicated, but you're already
over-complicating it by not using tools others have built for exactly
this situation. dupload just automates the scp to a server and allows
you to do more with it.

> I see that I have to describe exactly what I do from the point of build.
> In the source directory of a package, I do
>
> fakeroot debian/rules binary

dpkg-buildpackage might be better.

> that will create a file ../foo.deb,
> then
>
> scp ../foo.deb my.server.com:/var/local/debian

Here's where dupload would come in handy

> then I ssh to my.server.com and do the steps I described in my first mail
> (as given by the wiki).

Again, this is unnecessary, and could all be handled by reprepro (as I
said, I don't even have to log in to the server, it's all done by
dupload).

> Why does it have to be any more complicated than this?  It worked pre-signing.
> If it can't work with signing anymore, why?  And shouldn't this be documented?

So stick with non-SecureApt for your simple situation, or use the
advanced tools to get an advanced situation (which is IMO less
complicated).

If you're completely against using the tools, but must have SecureApt,
why not post a link to your repository and we can help diagnose the
problem you're having. I'd be willing to take a look at it to see
where the errors are coming from (I'm no apt expert, but I've had to
diagnose similar problems in the past).

Cameron