Re: Linda warnings about manpages in my packages

On Sun, Apr 23, 2006 at 06:33:04PM -0500, Joe Wreschnig wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 15:51 -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > If it's not supposed to be a public module, it shouldn't be in a public
> > directory, and then there's no reason to provide more packages than just the
> > application package.

> FWIW, this is not the common attitude in the Python community; people
> think it's a good idea to store application-specific modules and
> extensions in the site directory, even if there's no API/ABI stability.

> For example, I've had several requests for Quod Libet to install its
> entire private module hierarchy there. You'll find that several programs
> in Debian, such as gnome-menus, do this already.

> Personally I think that's very stupid, and leads to 1) a false sense of
> security about the stability of such APIs, and 2) a lax attitude towards
> API compatibility in general in Python (since so many "public modules"
> break all the time).

Yes; putting libraries in public directories that aren't going to support a
stable API/API for the lifetime of a release (be it Debian or python) is
simply namespace pollution.  It's unfortunate that every language community
has to grow into an understanding of this the hard way.

> If Debian is going to buck the trend here (and I think it should, and
> thankfully does for many programs) a lot of packages are buggy.

Well, I think "a lot of packages are buggy" is a pretty accurate assessment
whether Debian adopts a blanket policy on this or not...