Re: Linda warnings about manpages in my packages

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 15:51 -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> If it's not supposed to be a public module, it shouldn't be in a public
> directory, and then there's no reason to provide more packages than just the
> application package.

FWIW, this is not the common attitude in the Python community; people
think it's a good idea to store application-specific modules and
extensions in the site directory, even if there's no API/ABI stability.

For example, I've had several requests for Quod Libet to install its
entire private module hierarchy there. You'll find that several programs
in Debian, such as gnome-menus, do this already.

Personally I think that's very stupid, and leads to 1) a false sense of
security about the stability of such APIs, and 2) a lax attitude towards
API compatibility in general in Python (since so many "public modules"
break all the time).

If Debian is going to buck the trend here (and I think it should, and
thankfully does for many programs) a lot of packages are buggy.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@sacredchao.net>