Re: Linda warnings about manpages in my packages

On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, Steve Langasek wrote:
> denyhosts-python2.3/2.4 do contain a python module.  If and when the Great
> Python Reorganization finally happens, this ought to be a single denyhosts
> package depending on python (>> 2.3), python (<< 2.5).

This can already be done with python-support (provided that the code
isn't specific to a python version).

> Since the package installs public modules, it seems to me that putting the
> modules and the app in a single package is the wrong solution.

We have plenty of modules which are packaged only for the current version
of python in Debian and it's not "wrong". This wouldn't be worse.

And the maintainer really needs to think if the modules are meant to be
public or not ... because I see no documentation of the modules, so I
wonder why we need to provide them for two python versions.

> However, trying to make the application package auto-switch between two
> different versions of python is also the wrong solution.

Indeed.

> In the meantime, the current packages have an RC bug, #361085, about the
> fact that denyhosts-comon *does* include a binary that tries to support both
> versions of python, but without appropriate dependencies to ensure a
> consistent python configuration.

Given the info that I've read here, if I were the maintainer I would have
a single package "denyhost" with everything packaged for the default
version.

If I wanted to provide the modules for another python version I would
use python-support.

Check http://wiki.debian.org/DebianPythonFAQ for some info about how to
use python-support.

Cheers,