Re: Linda warnings about manpages in my packages

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 10:34:04PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Apr 2006, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > denyhosts-python2.3/2.4 do contain a python module.  If and when the Great
> > Python Reorganization finally happens, this ought to be a single denyhosts
> > package depending on python (>> 2.3), python (<< 2.5).

> This can already be done with python-support (provided that the code
> isn't specific to a python version).

Ah, in that case this would be my recommendation here...

> > Since the package installs public modules, it seems to me that putting the
> > modules and the app in a single package is the wrong solution.

> We have plenty of modules which are packaged only for the current version
> of python in Debian and it's not "wrong". This wouldn't be worse.

The part I object to is including an app and a public module in a single
package -- particularly one that happens to come with an init script as this
one does.

If it's a public module, it should be its own package.
If it's not supposed to be a public module, it shouldn't be in a public
directory, and then there's no reason to provide more packages than just the
application package.

> And the maintainer really needs to think if the modules are meant to be
> public or not ... because I see no documentation of the modules, so I
> wonder why we need to provide them for two python versions.

Yes, agreed.

> > In the meantime, the current packages have an RC bug, #361085, about the
> > fact that denyhosts-comon *does* include a binary that tries to support both
> > versions of python, but without appropriate dependencies to ensure a
> > consistent python configuration.

> Given the info that I've read here, if I were the maintainer I would have
> a single package "denyhost" with everything packaged for the default
> version.

> If I wanted to provide the modules for another python version I would
> use python-support.

Agreed on both counts.