Re: Changing version numbers for upload to m.d.n [ was: Re: RFS: swish++: A Simple Web Indexing System for Humans --- C++ version ]

On (21/09/06 14:29), martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach James Westby <jw+debian@jameswestby.net> [2006.09.21.1419 +0200]:
> > The convention is, I believe, that an upload to mentors.debian.net
> > does not count as a release, as anyone who downloads a package
> > from there should realise it is a work in flux and handle that
> > appropriately.
>
> What speaks against incrementing the Debian revision after every
> upload? I am much in favour of that.

I know that some people do not like it.

I think the reasoning is that it is the extra step for sponsors to build
with -v.

Perhaps we could have a convention that the version number is
incremented as you like, but if the sponsor requests it the maintainer
collapses the entries.

Would that be acceptable?

James

--
  James Westby   --    GPG Key ID: B577FE13    --     http://jameswestby.net/
  seccure key - (3+)k7|M*edCX/.A:n*N!>|&7U.L#9E)Tu)T0>AM - secp256r1/nistp256