Re: RFS: swish++: A Simple Web Indexing System for Humans --- C++ version

Hello,

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006, James Westby wrote:
> On (20/09/06 15:00), Kapil Hari Paranjape wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Could someone please sponsor a New Maintainer upload of swish++?
> >
> > 	http://www.imsc.res.in/~kapil/debian/swish++/swish++_6.1.4-0pre3.dsc
> >
> > 	or
> >
> > 	http://http://mentors.debian.net/debian/pool/main/s/swish++/swish++_6.1.4-0pre3.dsc

Thanks for your detailed comments.

> > Note: Must bump version to 6.1.4-1 before upload.
> Why have you done it like this?

So that I can keep the ordering before the final upload.
For example the version after I incorporate the changes you suggest
will be 6.1.4-0pre4.

>   * What are the all_in_one.patch and swish++.conf.patch files?

These are carry-overs from the earlier Maintainer's files. I was not
sure whether I should remove them until the "New Maintainer Upload" goes
through. I have done so now.

>   * You have two "added homepage to description." entries in
>     debian/changelog.

Oops. Fixed.

>   * You should base the packaging on the NMUs that have been done I
>     believe. It is also possible to close the bugs by including their
>     changelog entries in the upload if you use the correct -v option to
>     dpkg-buildpackage. You might wish to consider this. By completely
>     dropping the entries from the changelog you have removed some of the
>     history of the package.

Fixed. They did indeed provide the fixes for 5.1.x and it should be
acknowledged. However, the bug closing has happened differently now (in
6.1.4) so I would rather attribute the closing of the bugs to the new
upstream version rather than use " -v" for dpkg-buildpackage.

>   * debhelper (>> 4.0.0) in debian/control, is (>= 4.0) not sufficient?
>     (Only a minor point).

Done.

>   * Is "* Generously commented source code" something the users of the
>     package really need to know?

Not really. I will delete this. Note that the earlier package tried
to distinguish itself from "swish-e" which was unmaintained at the
time when "swish++" was written. So a lot of the description is a
holdover from that time. I have tried to incorporate the more recent
well-maintained status of "swish-e" but I must have missed this
remark.

>   * Your debian/copyright does not have all the information that it
>     needs, some copyright holders and licenses are missing. Also it
>     doesn't quite conform to the preferred layout. See
>     http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2006/03/msg00023.html
>     for more information.

There *are* files in the tarball that are not copyright Paul J. Lucas
but they are only used in the Win32 build. I have made some changes
to confirm to the format and added a comment about these files.

>   * You might be interested in /usr/share/quilt/quilt.make, rather than
>     trying to patch yourself. Also the environment variable
>     QUILT_PATCHES would have helped you.

Thanks for pointing this out.

>   * You don't use any CFLAGS in debian/rules. I don't think nostrip
>     would work for your package like this. Please add them, and if the
>     package doesn't build with them try and fix it.

I added the CFLAGS stuff as suggested in the debian policy section 10.1.

Thanks and regards,

Kapil.