Re: Changing version numbers for upload to m.d.n [ was: Re: RFS: swish++: A Simple Web Indexing System for Humans --- C++ version ]

also sprach James Westby <jw+debian@jameswestby.net> [2006.09.21.1526 +0200]:
> I think the reasoning is that it is the extra step for sponsors to
> build with -v.

... and sometimes -sa.

> Perhaps we could have a convention that the version number is
> incremented as you like, but if the sponsor requests it the maintainer
> collapses the entries.
>
> Would that be acceptable?

How about we use

  1.2-3~mentors.1
  1.2-3~mentors.2
  1.2-3~mentors.3

and when the sponsor pulls it, s/he just drops the ~mentors.* suffix
and uploads -3 while simply concatenating the changelog entries of
the intermediary versions, using the most recent stanza's date for
the final stanza?

: :'  :    proud Debian developer, author, administrator, and user
`. `'`     http://people.debian.org/~madduck http://debiansystem.info

"brevity is the soul of wit."
                                                -- polonius (hamlet)
"brevity is ... wit."