Re: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath documentation

Charles Fry <cfry@debian.org> writes:

>> So please, please, please do fix (remove) the rpath in the package.
>
> I would appreciate any tips on how to go about fixing this. My package
> is courierpassd, currently only available in unstable. It depends on
> courier-authlib which currently uses /usr/lib/courier-authlib. I can't
> figure out how to get my binary to work correctly without the rpath. Is
> there something that I can do to make it work, or should I file a bug in
> courier-authlib requesting that they use /usr/lib?
>
> Any detail that you are able to provide justifying this would be
> helpful, especially to motivate any bugs that need to be filed to get
> this fixed.
>
> thanks,
> Charles

Policy 10.2:

Packages containing shared libraries that may be linked to by other
packages' binaries, but which for some compelling reason can not be
installed in /usr/lib directory, may install the shared library files
in subdirectories of the /usr/lib directory, in which case they should
arrange to add that directory in /etc/ld.so.conf in the package's
post-installation script, and remove it in the package's post-removal
script.

Is there any compelling reason for /usr/lib/courier-authlib? Or are
they just not public?

As it is you have to use rpath or use a wrapper to set
LD_LIBRARY_PATH, which is rather ugly. I would try to get the
courier-authlib maintainer to move the libraries.

MfG
        Goswin