Re: first package pcftisio

> > > Great, thanks :)
> > still waiting...
stil waiting :(

> >     o python-cfitsio_0.99.2-1_i386.changes.asc : ???
what stands for .asc suffix ?

> >  -or should this one be deleted adfer fakeroot debian/rules clean
>
> Yes.  The clean target should leave the tree in the state it was before the
> build started.  This means:
> - Any debian-specific patches are applied (they end up in the .diff.gz).
>   Usually this includes the whole debian/ directory.
> - Any generated files which were present in the original tarball, to which the
>   (generated) changes should not be in the diff.gz should be deleted.  That
>   way they are ignored by the diff.  This can be used for example for
>   Makefile.in (and the rest of the autotools junk) when running the autotools

So this mean that I can't let the setup.cfg modified. remember the rules:
---%<---
install: build
	sed setup.cfg \
	 -e 's|include_dirs=.*|include_dirs=/usr/include|g' \
	 -e 's|library_dirs=.*|library_dirs=/usr/lib|g' \
	 -e 's|inplace=.*|inplace=0|g' > setup.2.cfg
	mv setup.2.cfg setup.cfg
---%<---

> > dpkg-gencontrol: warning: unknown substitution variable ${misc:Depends}
okay, I've just re-added the  ${misc:Depends} and I won't take in consideration the warning

> > I've got also:
> > gpg: skipped "cedric briner
> > is that mandatory to make it work ?
> Not until you're a DD (if thats something you intend to do).
I finally check how to create a gpg key. And It greatly works

> > I've saw a package that was able to create, but I don't rememeber from where:
> > python2.3-foo
> > python2.4-foo
> I don't know if you should.  But it would be easy to find such a
> package; just apt-cache search it then apt-get source...
finally I've made some research and I change the control's file to package it for python2.{3,4}
like this:
    Source: python-cfitsio
    Section: science
    Maintainer: cedric briner <cedric.briner@obs.unige.ch>
    Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 4.0.0), libcfitsio-dev, python (>= 2.3), python (< 2.4), python2.3-dev, python2.4-dev
    Standards-Version: 3.6.2

    Package: python2.3-cfitsio
    Architecture: any
    Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}, ${python:Depends}, libcfitsio2, python2.3-numarray
     .
     This module is compiled against python 2.3

    Package: python2.4-cfitsio
    Architecture: any
    Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}, ${python:Depends}, libcfitsio2, python2.4-numarray
     .
     This module is compiled against python 2.4

    Package: python-cfitsio
    Architecture: any
    Depends: ${shlibs:Depends}, ${misc:Depends}, ${python:Depends}, libcfitsio2
     .
     This Debian package is an empty dummy package that always depends on
     a package built for Debian's default Python version.

> > so If I'm done, I'm just waiting for the email of the program's
> > author to submit this package to debian-mentors ?
> I guess so; are you using the package yourself?  Do you have a local
> repository?
to setup a repository was a pure nightmare...
what I have is:
an apt-proxy
and a repository for binary package which is constructed with apt-ftparchive.
May I ask a question which could be a little OT:
OT: I'd like that all the station, install/upgrade automatically the packages from my own
OT: repository. But to do this, I've read that I've to use pinning system. But I don't
OT: really see the relation between the keywords in the /etc/apt/preferences and the keywords
OT: in the apt-ftparchive configuration's file.
OT: /etc/apt/preferences
OT:    ...
OT:    Package: mutt
OT:    Pin: release a=sarge-backports  # this field of keywords
OT:    Pin-Priority: 999
OT:    ...
OT: #the command to generate my own repository
OT: apt-ftparchive -c apt-sarge-release.conf generate apt-ftparchive.conf
OT: the keywords defined in apt-sarge-release.conf or apt-ftparchive.conf

Should I put all the files in the same repertory in the future. Because I'm planning to debianize some others
softwares rellated to the astromy field.
  wcstools: http://tdc-www.harvard.edu/wcstools/
  gildas: http://www.iram.es/IRAMFR/GILDAS/
So, what is the recommended way to hierarchize the source packages and to put them after that in a repository.
what I've done so far his.
mkdir deb-factory/pcfitsio/0.99.2/
cd !$
ls -F
python2.3-cfitsio_0.99.2-1_i386.deb  python-cfitsio_0.99.2-1.dsc
python2.4-cfitsio_0.99.2-1_i386.deb  python-cfitsio_0.99.2-1_i386.changes
python-cfitsio-0.99.2/               python-cfitsio_0.99.2-1_i386.deb
python-cfitsio_0.99.2-1.diff.gz      python-cfitsio_0.99.2.orig.tar.gz
is there a good link on the best practices.

Cedric

--

Cedric BRINER
Geneva - Switzerland