Re: RFS: x-no-session-manager - restore default X behavior with gnome/kde installed

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 04:40:45PM +0100, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> Adrian von Bidder <avbidder@fortytwo.ch> writes:
>
> > On Thursday 03 February 2005 13.54, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
> >
> >> Having to tweak the alternative manually to something non executable but
> >> existing requires insight knowledege into the alternatives system and
> >> xfree86-common that a normal user wouldn't have.
> >
> > Wanting to disable the session manager is something that only a poweruser
> > would do - and so I assume learning about update-alternatives or using
> > x-session-manager in $HOME/.Xsession is something within easy reach of
> > these powerusers.
>
> Why? Whats so uncommon with a user (or admin) that wan't neither the
> bloaded Gnome Desktop nor the bloated KDE Desktop?

Nobody said that this is uncommon, but that this can already be achieved
using standard methods. IMO there should be no alternatives
"do-not-do-foo". Just don't use the programm if you don't like any of
the provided alternatives. It's easy to modify .Xsession or the
configure the system default in /etc/X11/Xsession.d for users typically
requesting such a feature.

BTW I don't see why anyone would not want a x-session-manager. I just
remove all the things I don't want from my gnome-session with
gnome-session-remove (like nautilus and gnome-panel) and even use the
gnome-session-manager with ion.

Gaudenz