Re: RFS: x-no-session-manager - restore default X behavior with gnome/kde installed

Adrian von Bidder <avbidder@fortytwo.ch> writes:

> On Thursday 03 February 2005 01.54, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>
>> As you can see the package is tiny. All it does is provide a dummy
>> alternative for x-session-manager that is _not_executable_ so the
>
> I think this should not be a package at all - it is really just a
> configuration, as it's really trivial to configure the alternatives system
> so that x-session-manager is a dangling symlink or something other that
> won't run (set it to /tmp/no-session-manager)

You can't have it dangling because then it will be reinstated when you
update kde or gnome, tried that.

> I can't see the advantage of having one update-alternatives commandline
> packaged. (We might as well start to package things like 'prefer kdm over
> gdm' or 'run ls in the users' home directory at package installation' ;-)

The advantage of having this as package is that

'update-alternatives --config x-session-manager'

will show you 3 options now: gnome, kde and none. Having to tweak the
alternative manually to something non executable but existing requires
insight knowledege into the alternatives system and xfree86-common
that a normal user wouldn't have. Installing the package is simple,
effective and can be done in automatic installations, e.g. via FAI.

Think about it. With the same argument you could say
update-alternatives shouldn't exist, it is just a config. Users could
set the link themself altogether.

> cheers
> -- vbi

MfG