Re: RFS: x-no-session-manager - restore default X behavior with gnome/kde installed

Adrian von Bidder <avbidder@fortytwo.ch> writes:

> On Thursday 03 February 2005 13.54, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>
>> Having to tweak the alternative manually to something non executable but
>> existing requires insight knowledege into the alternatives system and
>> xfree86-common that a normal user wouldn't have.
>
> Wanting to disable the session manager is something that only a poweruser
> would do - and so I assume learning about update-alternatives or using
> x-session-manager in $HOME/.Xsession is something within easy reach of
> these powerusers.

Why? Whats so uncommon with a user (or admin) that wan't neither the
bloaded Gnome Desktop nor the bloated KDE Desktop?

Remember that installing e.g. galeon will force the gnome desktop as
default. A lot of people might want galeon without a gnome desktop
esspecialy on slower systems.

Having no x-session-manager doesn't mean you start with a bare X. The
normal scripts that start x-window-manager and such still all apply.

>> > I can't see the advantage of having one update-alternatives commandline
>> > packaged. (We might as well start to package things like 'prefer kdm
>> > over gdm' or 'run ls in the users' home directory at package
>> > installation' ;-)
>
>> Think about it. With the same argument you could say
>> update-alternatives shouldn't exist, it is just a config. Users could
>> set the link themself altogether.
>
> I don't buy this argument - the alternatives is a framework, and with slave
> files etc., just setting the links manually is not sensible.  Besides,
> update-alternatives is not packaged in a tiny package on its own...

With the "on its own" you have a point. Its horrible to have such a
tiny package. But I did asked Brandon to include this feature in X,
where it belongs imho, and he didn't want it. So this is the only
other option I see.

> greetings
> -- vbi

MfG