Re: RFS: x-no-session-manager - restore default X behavior with gnome/kde installed

On Thursday 03 February 2005 13.54, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

> Having to tweak the alternative manually to something non executable but
> existing requires insight knowledege into the alternatives system and
> xfree86-common that a normal user wouldn't have.

Wanting to disable the session manager is something that only a poweruser
would do - and so I assume learning about update-alternatives or using
x-session-manager in $HOME/.Xsession is something within easy reach of
these powerusers.

> > I can't see the advantage of having one update-alternatives commandline
> > packaged. (We might as well start to package things like 'prefer kdm
> > over gdm' or 'run ls in the users' home directory at package
> > installation' ;-)

> Think about it. With the same argument you could say
> update-alternatives shouldn't exist, it is just a config. Users could
> set the link themself altogether.

I don't buy this argument - the alternatives is a framework, and with slave
files etc., just setting the links manually is not sensible.  Besides,
update-alternatives is not packaged in a tiny package on its own...

greetings
-- vbi

--
Beware of the FUD - know your enemies. This week
    * The Alexis de Toqueville Institue *