Re: Packaging of mailinglist archives

Jan Kesten <debian-lists@the-hidden-realm.de> writes:

> Hello, Goswin and others,
>
>> You don't have a debian-user-german-200202.orig.tar.gz so the package
>>  is detected as native package. That means that the full version
>> (200202-1) is taken as upstream version and the directory is expected
>>  to be names such.
>
> Ok :-) (learned at lot this weekend :)
>
>> What you have done here is not strictly against policy but frowned
>> upon. You mixed a native package with a debian version.
>
> Nah, even if it is not against the policy I won't like to start
> packaging in a greyzone :-)
>
>> I would suggest one of two things:
>>
>> 1) Use 200202.1 as upstream version keeping it a native package.
>>
>> 2) Create an orig.tar.gz with just the mbox and a diff.gz with the
>> debian dir and keep 200202-1.
>
> Then I would choose 1) but what exactly I have to change? Acutally the
> 'source' is in a directory like
>
> ./debian-user-200202
>
> and in control there is a line like this
>
> Source: debian-user-german-200202
>
> and in changelog:
>
> debian-user-german-999999 (.1) unstable; urgency=low

That should be "./debian-user-200202-1" and "debian-user-german-200202
(1) unstable; urgency=low" then I think.

>> The mbox files probably never change unless you start cencorship but
>> the debian script might change. Having the two seperate allows for
>
> Huh, now I'm confused. First, the mbox files 'should' never change
> right, but I'm expecting that there are some mails with wrong date
> headers or even missing at all that may be 'repaired' and so the archive
> gets updated.

I guess such editing can happen but could be done with a patch file in
the diff.gz.

> But which debian script do you mean? The ones that build the package?

debian/postinst or e.g. an mbox-to-html.cgi script to read the mbox
through apache as html. But I guess that would be better in a common
mailinglist-reader package.

> Cheers,
> Jan

MfG