Re: Packaging of mailinglist archives

Justin Pryzby wrote:

> Nice idea.  Where do you get the mbox from?

By now I archiving or better buliding up an archive of different
mailinglists. Right now they are stored in a database for easy checking
if there are new mails to be added to a specific month.

> Seems okay with me.

Fine :-)

> dh_install?  I would recommend that (instead of /usr/bin/install or
> whatever) because then you can list all the the files and their
> ultimate destination directory in ./debian/mailinglists.install.
> This helps to keep ./debian/rules clean.

Good idea :-) I created a file with a single line like

200301.mbox /usr/share/doc/mailingslists/debian-user-german

and cool - it creates all directories also, just easier than using
/usr/bin/install :-) Works fine for all packages I tried out..

> I would recommend including the full text of the relevent sections of
>  those pages.  Especially

I thought about something like this also - I think I'll write something
like that.

> Make sure that its an architecture-independent package, of course (as

It is, or better it should. Whe I build the package, there are following
files created:

debian-user-german-200301_1.dsc
debian-user-german-200301_1.tar.gz
debian-user-german-200301_1_all.deb
debian-user-german-200301_1_i386.changes

Okay, probably I don't need the source packages to be created. But I'm
wondering, that the package itself has _all.deb at the end but the
changelog has _i386.changes (but I think this is because it is build on
a x86 architecture) - or I missed something?!

Thanks,
Jan