Re: Packaging of mailinglist archives

Hi Justin,

> So, you're subscribed to a whole bunch of lists, and you store the
> messages yourself?  Ideally, mbox files would be publically available
> from www.debian.org, but I can't find them if that's the case.

I looked there, but I don't think there are any. That's why we startet
collecting and syncing them (I know there are archives accessible for
DDs). First idea was to put them on a server where everybody could fetch
them - not 5 minutes later "hey, wouldn't it be nice to have those
apt-get-able?" *g*

> Its a Debian native package?  I guess that makes sense.

It is :-) And so there is no rellay source package at all (okay a
database dump but these sources are not available to the public like any
other source package).

>  .deb.  The .deb *is* the source package, just with a control file
> and a copyright file and whatever, and compressed and relocated as
> necessary to /usr/share/.

ACK. Forgot to mention - since my package uses dh_compress the mailbox
will be stored gziped as it is put to /usr/share/doc.

> [0] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=38902

Sounds quite good and reasonable. These list archives might be something
in between, data in form of a mail archive and documentation since
that's why the mailinglists are there (to help others).

Some thing I didn't mentioned before:

dpkg-source: warning: source directory `./debian-user-german-200202' is
not <sourcepackage>-<upstreamversion> `debian-user-german-200202-1'

Is it better to use underscores like debian_user_german-200202?

Cheers,
Jan