Re: Packaging .deb vs .rpm - Re: C library for numerical analysis and math

Zenaan Harkness <zen@freedbms.net> wrote:

> Anyway, I know I wouldn't want to spend time learning _two_
> packaging systems - .deb (and .tar of course) are surely enough?

It seems you don't realize that converting from one packaging system to
another and hoping the results works correctly in most cases is doomed
to failure. Debian Policy is not Redhat Policy (if a such a thing
exists). This will suck. Definitely.

If you are upstream, I wouldn't advise you to prepare .deb and .rpm for
your programs unless you know the packaging system and distribution
*well*. Otherwise, the packages will suck. If the software is valuable,
someone is going to package it anyway.

--
Florent