Packaging .deb vs .rpm - Re: C library for numerical analysis and math

On Sun, 2004-02-08 at 07:49, R. Wood wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 07:36:11AM +1100, Zenaan Harkness imagined:
> > On Sat, 2004-02-07 at 22:48, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> > > #include <hallo.h>

> > > APT does not install anything. It manages to retrieve the
> > > correct packages and then lets the actual package manager do
> > > the work. It is dpkg for Debian systems and rpm for
> > > RPM-based ones.
> >
> > My ultimate question is (since it's obviously not obvious) -
> > can a .deb Debian package be installed on a .rpm based
> > distribution?

If so, then our friend Halim can just focus on one distribution -
namely in our case Debian, and on his web page, refer to alien
for those on rpm based distros who want to install his package.
My understanding is that .deb format has more information than
.rpm, and is therefore preferable.

Anyway, I know I wouldn't want to spend time learning _two_
packaging systems - .deb (and .tar of course) are surely enough?

cheers
zen