Re: Mannaging non well-known port in inetd.conf/services

On Sun, 27 Apr 2003, Emmanuel Lacour wrote:

> And I've got another question. Is there a way of handling "listen ports
> conflicts" in debian.

yeah it's called finders-keepers.  10000 is mine all mine :-)

> I think no. So if the user want to use zabbix and
> webmin which also uses tcp 10000 ... he as to play with netstat and
> change the default port in one of the programs..if it's possible...

Seriously, the procedure would be for the package maintainers (that's you
and I) to discuss an equitable solution.  Webmin I think is more popular
(never heard of zabbix) and has seniority but it is capable of running on
a different port if necessary.  Can zabbix be configured for a different
port?

worst comes to worst you could build a webmin module for Zabbix :-)

> If such a conflict handling doesn't exists, maybe it will be a great
> idea to implement this, to be able to just inform users that the
> programs he is going to install will try to use the same port as another
> already installed.

The only way I see to do this in the packaging sytem is for both webmin
and zabbix to provide: and conflict: with a virtual package called
tcp-port-ten-thousand-owner or something.  Very evil!

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>