Re: Mannaging non well-known port in inetd.conf/services

Hi,

On Mon, Apr 28, 2003 at 01:17:28AM -0400, Jaldhar H. Vyas wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Apr 2003, Matthias Urlichs wrote:
>
> > On Sun, 27 Apr 2003 08:26:48 +0000, Emmanuel Lacour wrote:
> > > And I've got another question. Is there a way of handling "listen ports
> > > conflicts" in debian.
> >
> > Of course there is. It's called "register your port with the maintainer of
> > the /etc/services file".
>
> ...who is Anthony Towns (ajt@debian.org) the maintainer of netbase.  But
> this is really only for "well-known ports" and I don't think either webmin
> or zabbix count.

Hm, it seems a good idea if /etc/services would not only contain the
IANA-registered "well known ports", but also "ports used by debian
packages". Why use a separate mechanism to resolve conflicts?  Such use
is also in line with historic uses of this type of files.

If you want to resolve conflicts and still use TCP ports as
rendezvous-points, you need some database to record the ports that you
settled for. Why not use the database that was intended for this?

Cheers,

Emile.

--
E-Advies - Emile van Bergen           emile@e-advies.nl