Re: problem with ldconfig and packaging libs

Adam Di Carlo <apharris@burrito.onshore.com> writes:

> It is bad advice for someone asking help about fakeroot to tell them
> to also use sudo or super.  Pick one and one only.

It's not bad advice.  I see fakeroot consistently causing problems for
people, and I've, personally, had bad experiences with it in the past
on 4+ architectures.  On the other hand sudo *works* (assuming one is
able to set it up, which is merely a matter of reading the fine
manual) and I've _never_ seen reports of problems with it similar to
the ones people have (had?) with fakeroot.

I also don't see any bonus in using fakeroot to build your own
packages as presumably one isn't going to hax0r oneself and you _need_
root on a box somewhere (though not necessarily the build machine,
granted, but in 99% of cases people build and test on the same
machine, I suspect) so you can install & test a package (as any
uploaded package should be).

So I'll continue to pimp sudo as long as people continue to have
problems with fakeroot.  YMMV

--
James