Re: new maintainer: upload to frozen?

On Fri, Dec 04, 1998 at 01:04:26AM -0800, Chris Waters wrote:
> I've taken over maintaining an already packaged program.  Should I
> upload to frozen so that I'll be the maintainer-of-record when it
> becomes stable? Does the fact that I've found and fixed a very minor bug
> have any influence on this?
>
> I know what the developer's reference says, but I've somehow gotten the
> impression that it may not be strictly accurate about this.  In
> particular, I've heard that updating the maintainer field *may* be
> justification for an upload to frozen, *and* I've heard that really
> minor bugs may *not* be sufficient justification for an upload to
> frozen.  The end result of all of this is that I'm very confused.  :-)

Well....
fixing a minor bug I guess depends on what the bug is of course...and how
minor.

I would personally save the minor bug for unstable and if you really feel you
need to change the maintainer field...just change that and re-upload with the
text in the changelog reflecting that you are the new maintainer and nothing
else.

Gotta leave em something to goto unstable for ;)

as for if changing maintainer field will be allowed...well I dunno. Makes sense
that it will be to me.

-Steve
"Prohibition goes beyond the bounds of reason in that it attempts to
 control a man's appetite by legislation and makes a crime out of things
 that are not crimes."
                -- Abraham Lincoln