new maintainer: upload to frozen?

I've taken over maintaining an already packaged program.  Should I
upload to frozen so that I'll be the maintainer-of-record when it
becomes stable? Does the fact that I've found and fixed a very minor bug
have any influence on this?

I know what the developer's reference says, but I've somehow gotten the
impression that it may not be strictly accurate about this.  In
particular, I've heard that updating the maintainer field *may* be
justification for an upload to frozen, *and* I've heard that really
minor bugs may *not* be sufficient justification for an upload to
frozen.  The end result of all of this is that I'm very confused.  :-)
or   cwaters@systems.DHL.COM | above, but it is too long to fit into