Re: new maintainer: upload to frozen?

Stephen J. Carpenter wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 04, 1998 at 01:04:26AM -0800, Chris Waters wrote:
> > I've taken over maintaining an already packaged program.  Should I
> > upload to frozen so that I'll be the maintainer-of-record when it
> > becomes stable? Does the fact that I've found and fixed a very minor
> > bug have any influence on this?

> > I know what the developer's reference says, but [...]

> fixing a minor bug I guess depends on what the bug is of course...and
> how minor.

The Debian menu entry points to the wrong location for the binary.
Minor and easy to fix from my POV, but highly visible from the users'
POV.

> I would personally save the minor bug for unstable and if you really
> feel you need to change the maintainer field...just change that and
> re-upload with the text in the changelog reflecting that you are the
> new maintainer and nothing else.

There something that just seems wrong to me about fixing the version in
unstable, so that it's more stable than the version that ends up in
stable.  Is it just me?

Perhaps I'm just not clear on the purpose of a freeze -- what *I* want
out of it is a version I can point to and say, basically, everything in
there works AFAICT.  Then, if I need a reliable system, I can stick
stable on it, and if I need a hacker's workstation, I can install frozen
or unstable.  I don't want to play mix-and-match to get reliability.

If it were me in charge of the freeze, I'd accept any bugfixes that
clearly *were* bugfixes, and which clearly had *no* danger of
introducing new bugs (not true of many bugfixes, granted).  Which may
mean I'm unsuitable for the post of release manager.  :-)

> Gotta leave em something to goto unstable for ;)

This is an attitude I confess I deplore.  I don't want to force people
to go to unstable for more stable code!  Not unless there's no other
option.  I want to send them to unstable for more *interesting* code!
:-)