Re: New contact form received

Hi Tony,

On Mon, Jul 01, 2019 at 03:59:28PM +0100, Tony Travis wrote:
> > To be a bit picky about wording: The Debian Med team has packaged lots
> > of the software for main Debian that used to be provided by Bio-Linux.
> > While I remember that Bio-Linux members like Tim Booth contributed code
> > to Debian Med I do not remember that I was able to drain a source
> > package from Bio-Linux and "port" this into a Debian package since it
> > seems there were no such source packages available that would rectify
> > the word "porting".
>
> OK, I accept your correction because the original NEBC Bio-Linux deb's were
> hand-crafted binary deb packages created by Tim and Bela from their
> 'tarball' installations of software into /usr/local, which caused a litany
> of problems for Bio-Linux, but I had no part in that decision!

I do not blame anybody about this decision.  As I said we had a very
good cooperation with Tim who contributed to real packages.  I just
wanted to be picky about the wording that might create the impression
for outsiders that Debian Med is a clone of Bio-Linux which is not.

> > Tony, I've added an entry to the "missing in Bio-Linux" list[1] (thanks
> > to Carnë Draug for the pointer to the webarchive).  If there is any
> > software requested by Bio-Linux users pretty please maintain this list.
> > Random mails to our mailing list are not at all a safe way to get
> > anything packaged.  The technical way to ask for packaging is filing an
> > "RFP" bug report - but we agreed upon the list[1] to lower the barrier.
>
> Sorry, I've done it the wrong way again...

No need to sorry - I'm pretty sure next time you will do it right. ;-)

> > However, I wonder how much promising it will be to ask for software
> > which has no maintained web page any more, the web archive change is
> > from 2007 and there is no visible source code.  I'd support anybody
> > who wants to give the packaging of it a try but I'll spend my time
> > rather on more promising code.
>
> I believe Dave has the source code (he is the author of maxdView).

Dave, if you are possessing the real source code I'd recommend to put it
on some Git hosting platform (Gitlab, Github, ...) *and* add a release
tag.  This would be a pretty good starting point to create a Debian
package from it.