Re: FW: New contact form received

On 01/07/2019 14:07, Timms-Wilson, Tracey wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: David Hancoc [mailto:mail@davidhancock.com]
Sent: 01 July 2019 14:07
To: Timms-Wilson, Tracey <tmt@ceh.ac.uk>; Timms-Wilson, Tracey
<tmt@ceh.ac.uk>
Subject: New contact form received

You have received a new contact form message.
Name : David Hancock
Email : mail@davidhancock.com
Message : Hello,

Some researchers have been in touch with me. They are trying to cite
maxdView - software that we used to host.

They still use vintage versions of it, but are wondering how to cite it  properlty.
Specifically so that other people can use it.

The download packge is still bundled into BioLinux, but the stand-alone
download pages, previously hosted by  CEH,  have disappeared.

Any chance that this can be re-instated?

Hi, David.

Tracey forwarded your email to me because I'm last-man-standing on the Bio-Linux project, which is now effectively abandoned by NERC/EOS and Bio-Linux 8 is no longer supported either by NERC/EOS, or by me...

During the Bio-Linux project, we collaborated a lot with the Debian-Med team, who ported many of the most useful packages from Bio-Linux to Debian-Med. Indeed, our strategy has been to avoid using the 'orphaned' NERC repositories that we no longer have access to update or modify.

I attended the 2019 Debian-Med Sprint in Vilnius earlier this year and presented my ideas about continuing development of Bio-Linux 9 within the Debian-Med project. The Debian-Med team have been very supportive:

https://wiki.debian.org/Sprints/2019/DebianMed2019

I've CC'ed your email to the Bio-Linux and Debian-Med mailing lists in case anyone is willing to volunteer to update the existing Bio-Linux 8 "maxdView" package and make it available for Debian/Ubuntu in "med-bio".

Please post a message about the development and future of "maxdView".

Thanks,

  Tony.

mob. +44(0)7985 078324        mailto:tony.travis@minke-informatics.co.uk