Re: FW: New contact form received

On 01/07/2019 15:45, Andreas Tille wrote:
[...]
To be a bit picky about wording: The Debian Med team has packaged lots
of the software for main Debian that used to be provided by Bio-Linux.
While I remember that Bio-Linux members like Tim Booth contributed code
to Debian Med I do not remember that I was able to drain a source
package from Bio-Linux and "port" this into a Debian package since it
seems there were no such source packages available that would rectify
the word "porting".

Hi, Andreas.

OK, I accept your correction because the original NEBC Bio-Linux deb's were hand-crafted binary deb packages created by Tim and Bela from their 'tarball' installations of software into /usr/local, which caused a litany of problems for Bio-Linux, but I had no part in that decision!

[...]
Tony, I've added an entry to the "missing in Bio-Linux" list[1] (thanks
to Carnë Draug for the pointer to the webarchive).  If there is any
software requested by Bio-Linux users pretty please maintain this list.
Random mails to our mailing list are not at all a safe way to get
anything packaged.  The technical way to ask for packaging is filing an
"RFP" bug report - but we agreed upon the list[1] to lower the barrier.

Sorry, I've done it the wrong way again...

However, I wonder how much promising it will be to ask for software
which has no maintained web page any more, the web archive change is
from 2007 and there is no visible source code.  I'd support anybody
who wants to give the packaging of it a try but I'll spend my time
rather on more promising code.

I believe Dave has the source code (he is the author of maxdView).

Thanks,

  Tony.

mob. +44(0)7985 078324        mailto:tony.travis@minke-informatics.co.uk