Re: Thanks to Gert and Sascha - other please keep on fixing bugs (Was: Thanks to Sascha for his bug fixing - but we should do more (Was: Strengthening team by fixing other members bugs))

Hi Sascha,

On 13:40 22/07, Sascha Steinbiss wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> [...]
> > #811841 seqan: FTBFS with GCC 6: no match for
> >
> > - refers to v1.4, AFAIK version 2.0 is already in the archive, so this
> > one should probably me closed.
>
> I don't think it is [1]. Anyway, AFAICS SeqAn 2.0 is intended to go into
> a separate package seqan2 instead? Some of the recent mails here on this
> list seem to indicate that?
> The seqan repo in Git has 2.0 already merged into master but not
> uploaded yet. Can anybody clarify please?
>
> If there is going to be a new repo for seqan2 because of API changes I
> think it might be worth fixing the GCC6 FTBFS in the 'old' (1.4) seqan
> package to make sure that important tools depending on 1.4 (such as
> bowtie, tophat, ...) stay in testing.
> What do you think?
>
> Thanks
> Sascha
>
> [1] https://packages.debian.org/source/unstable/seqan

Andreas/Michael may remember differently, but from memory we will have:

- SeqAn 1.x in src:seqan -> seqan-dev (only, no apps)
- SeqAn 2.x in src:seqan2 -> libseqan2-dev  and seqan-apps (and one day -doc)

So yes, I agree with you. Seqan 1.x (i.e. src:seqan) should be made to build
correctly and not get booted from testing (and git should be reverted such that
it contains only 1.x). Especially while the likes of bowtie & tophat rely upon
them. (Though for smaller tools, providing patches to get them to build with
seqan 2.x shouldn't be monumentally difficult and should be qulte
upstream-able).

Cheers,

---
Kevin Murray