Seqan2 (Was: Thanks to Gert and Sascha - other please keep on fixing bugs)

Hi Sascha,

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 01:40:40PM +0100, Sascha Steinbiss wrote:

> > - refers to v1.4, AFAIK version 2.0 is already in the archive, so this
> > one should probably me closed.
>
> I don't think it is [1]. Anyway, AFAICS SeqAn 2.0 is intended to go into
> a separate package seqan2 instead? Some of the recent mails here on this
> list seem to indicate that?
> The seqan repo in Git has 2.0 already merged into master but not
> uploaded yet. Can anybody clarify please?

My *personal* and *totally* uneducated opinion about seqan is that we
should *not* try to maintain two versions of seqan - specifically not an
old an currently RC buggy version.  Thus it would be better to keep the
name seqan also for version 2.x.

> If there is going to be a new repo for seqan2 because of API changes I
> think it might be worth fixing the GCC6 FTBFS in the 'old' (1.4) seqan
> package to make sure that important tools depending on 1.4 (such as
> bowtie, tophat, ...) stay in testing.
> What do you think?

Seqan API has changed in minor 1.x versions as well and we managed to
patch the said tools.  I'm simply hoping we can follow this strategy
also for seqan 2.x.  Thus my suggestion to upload seqan 2.x as fast as
possible to experimental and see what we can do for the dependencies.

Please note: I'm not deeply involved in all the internals and my
opinion might be at best naive, maybe totally wrong.  However, it seems
that we do not have the power to maintain seqan 1.4 over a long time
(several releases).