Re: mips/mipsel in samtools and pysam

Hi Afif,

regarding bug #749367 of htslib I inspected the upstream discussion
about the proposed patch[4].  I need to admit that I can not make any
safe conclusion whether the mips issue is solved or not.  The fact that
the build problem remains (OK, according to #749367 there were 5
failures in the beginning the build log [3] now has only 4 failures)
seems to me that upstream does not found a final solution.  However,
this is not release critical since htslib was never available for mips.

However, as far as I can see there in tracker[5] are more important
problems in samtools affecting several architectures.  According to
Charles[6] this might be fixed upstream in the next release.  I'm not
sure how promissing the suggested action (=waiting for upstream) might
be.  Does anybody have contact to upstream and would find out whether a
new release can be expected soon or whether we should try to backport
the changes (and would volunteer to do the backporting ;-)).

[4] https://github.com/samtools/htslib/pull/99
[5] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/samtools
[6] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=762647#39