Re: [MoM] Re: Help with Debian packaging of DCMTK++

Hi Julien,

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 06:11:23PM +0200, Julien Lamy wrote:
> > (see policy what packages are needed to make this work).  Beside some
> > formatting changes you see where the versions are dropped.  I'd
> > recommend to use the result of this process.
>
> Done: dropping the version has the additional benefit to yield an easier
> to read file :)

Yes, that's a welcome side effect.

> > Moreover you will have seen a lintian warning about the maintainer.  In
> > debian/changelog you need to specify one of the maintainers (instead of
> > DMPT) mentioned as Uploaders, so actually yours.  BTW, I do not really
> > mind whether I'm listed as Uploader or not - feel free to drop my name
> > there until I might have done some mentionable work on the package.
>
> Done.

OK.

> > I think you can also drop the postinst file.  Ldconfig is automatically
> > injected by debhelper - so there is no need to care about this.
>
> Done; I'm not sure why Lintian complained about this, but today's
> modifications fixed this.

Lintian usually complains since debhelper is clever enough to do things
properly without manually specifying ldconfig.

> I still have to get rid of the ITP-related
> warning, but reportbug yields an Internal server error; will try again
> tomorrow…

Is this when creating the bug report or rather in the final step.  A
common issue is that SMTP is not configured properly and reportbug wants
to send an e-mail.  So you might like to check some simple:

    mailx -s "Test" <your@e.mail> < /dev/null

to verify this.  If this is the case and you can not get it working
properly you can simply save the mail that reportbug wanted to create
and send it with any mail client to control@bugs.debian.org.

> > Finally I's like to stress that I made very good experiences by using
> > d-shlibs to package libraries.  We have several examples for its usage
> > in Git - as a random pick have a look into
> >
> >    git://anonscm.debian.org/debian-med/libmems.git
>
> I looked at d-shlibs, but I'm not sure what it is supposed to achieve :
> it seems to me that all files are already in place and that they do not
> need to be moved in the package. What am I missing?

D-shlibs moves the files for you and also respects multiarch and proper
file names.  When using d-shlibs you can drop the debian/*.install
files.

BTW, I've found a remaining issue when usin pbuilder (actually
cowbuilder):

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lz

This is a typical sign that there is a missing Build-Dependency (in this
case zlib1g-dev).  Please make sure that you at least once test the
build in a chroot to verify this.  I'd recommend to setup cowbuilder.
Things should be described properly in Debian Med policy.