Re: [MoM] Re: Help with Debian packaging of DCMTK++

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 17, 2015 at 06:33:04PM +0200, Julien Lamy wrote:

> I just pushed the first version of the debian dir,

Good.  I have two points to mention.  You used some versioned dependencies
and these are not all needed since the versions in question are provided
anyway at minimum.  The easiest way to find this out is to use

    cme fix dpkg-control

(see policy what packages are needed to make this work).  Beside some
formatting changes you see where the versions are dropped.  I'd
recommend to use the result of this process.

Moreover you will have seen a lintian warning about the maintainer.  In
debian/changelog you need to specify one of the maintainers (instead of
DMPT) mentioned as Uploaders, so actually yours.  BTW, I do not really
mind whether I'm listed as Uploader or not - feel free to drop my name
there until I might have done some mentionable work on the package.

The debian/copyright file seems to be OK.  Usually we use an extra
paragraph for "Files: debian/*" since in most cases the upstream
developer has not created the debian/ dir.  In your case it is fine I'm
mentioning it anyway for completeness.

> which raised a
> question regarding unit tests: should I assume that the tests have been
> run upstream or should I run them during the build? Right now, I've gone
> the easy way and skipped them: they run relatively quickly but require a
> specific environment (environment variables, running processes and
> whatnot, a script is provided to set up all of this).

Nothing to be added to the other team members. :-)

> Next week, I'll try to integrate the code documentation and to fix the
> shlib-related Lintian warnings.

I think you can also drop the postinst file.  Ldconfig is automatically
injected by debhelper - so there is no need to care about this.

Finally I's like to stress that I made very good experiences by using
d-shlibs to package libraries.  We have several examples for its usage
in Git - as a random pick have a look into

   git://anonscm.debian.org/debian-med/libmems.git

The usage of d-shlibs makes it quite easy to follow the library
packaging guide and thus I'd strongly recommend it.