Re: [MoM] Re: ITP: r-cran-igraph -- GNU R package for igraph

Hi Alba,

On Thu, May 14, 2015 at 10:34:28PM +0100, Alba Crespi wrote:
> > Since you are quite advanced and I assume not much mentoring will be
> > needed any more (same with the other student Afif I hope to be able to
> > work with you both at the same time and the usual mentoring quality (in
> > terms of speedy response and detailed explanations).  I hope you like
> > this.
>
> It sounds great!

:-)

> > Our policy says that we are using a workflow that includes a
> > pristine-tar branch.  You can create this as written in policy by
> > using
> >
> >     git import-orig --pristine-tar /path/to/package_version.orig.tar.gz
> >

> Apparently, import-orig is not an option for my version of git? It doesn't
> appear in the list of possible commands...
>
>  git import-orig --pristine-tar r-cran-fastmatch_1.0-4.orig.tar.gz
>  git: 'import-orig' is not a git command. See 'git --help'.
>
> However, I could do by doing: gbp import-orig --pristine-tar
> /path/.orig.tar.gz. Is that ok?

Aaaarg, for sure that's OK.  My bad!  Git-buildpackage recently changed
its interface and droped the deprecated "git" in favour of consistently
using gbp.  I had assumed that I changed every occurance in the policy
but I did not and even worse copied it blindly.  Sorry for this - its
fixed now.

> > You can do this also now in the current state of the repository.  The
> > rationale behind this branch is that it contains the necessary metadata
> > to recreate a md5 sum identical tarball.  This makes sure we are working
> > both on the very same tarball without the need to download anything in
> > addition.  So could you please import and push this?
>
> Sorry, I'm not sure what exactly I have to push?

git push --all --set-upstream
git push --tags

> >   * Initial release. (Closes: #784264)
> >
> >  -- Alba Crespi <crespialba+debian@gmail.com>  Mon, 04 May 2015 18:56:30
> > +0100
> >
> > ... perhaps by updating the timestamp.
>
> done
>

> > Regarding debian/control:  You mention
> >
> >    Testsuite: autopkgtest
> >
> > This is probably a cut-n-pasto since no testsuite is actually provided.
> > While we try to approach test suites for each package the upstream code
> > does not seem to provide anything that might be useful for this.  In any
> > case you can even drop this field since it is automatically added by
> > dpkg-buildpackage if a test suite is found.
>
> Ok, deleted it. (When I was doing this, I followed the instructions on the
> debian-med web page)
>

> > The file debian/gbp.conf could be dropped IMHO.  It doese not specify
> > anything non standard and unneeded files might add noise.  BTW, it
> > specifies pristine-tar = True which is wrong at the moment.
>
> Drop it.

Fine.  I guess if you push for pristine-tar I will be able to see all
this.

> > Everything else looks fine to me.
>
> Excellent news then! :)
>
> Just one more question for now: once I have done the changes, and re-build
> the package, I have to commit the package in the same way as I did the
> first time or do I need to use a different set of commands?

Just `git push`.

Thanks for your work on this