Re: ITP: r-cran-igraph -- GNU R package for igraph

Hi Alba,

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 05:18:03PM +0100, Alba Crespi wrote:
> >  list and I take the freedom to do so here since the content is not
> >  really private and deserves updating in public.  I hope you don't mind.
> >  Using the address that is the ITP owner might help you sorting this
> >  mail properly.]
>
> No problem!

:-)

> I'm trying to update the packages following the debian-med rules and I have
> some questions:
>
>   - When updated the section to 'science', lintian sugguests 'gnu-r'. Which
> is the correct one?

>From a neutral point of view the packages might fit into both sections.
Debian policy says R packages should be in section gnu-r (that's why
lintian is telling you this) ... and so Debian policy overrides what we
said (for all packages which have no clear specification per Debian
poplicy).  May be this should be clarified.  As a general rule:  We try
to get lintian clean packages - so follow lintian.

Remark: The section concept is from the very early days of Debian and
has its flaws - in this case that only one section can be specified.

>     W: r-cran-fastmatch: wrong-section-according-to-package-name
> r-cran-fastmatch => gnu-r
>
>   - What should I do with the ITP bugs that I opened for r-cran-fastmatch,
> r-cran-nnls and r-cran-phangorn? Is the same system in debian-med? Do I
> nedd another ITP for debian-med?

No.  Debian Med *is* Debian.  We are just a team inside Debian.  Just
keep your ITPs.

> > While these packages are not really medicine specific we usually also
> > maintain the necessary preconditions.  This helps us using all our
> > quality assurance tools and help to respond quickly.  For instance if a
> > team member might notice that a package needs to be updated it happens
> > that it is just done.  If you remain a single maintainer this goes
> > unnoticed.  For instance r-cran-igraph is a similar example why it is in
> > the Debian Med team.
> >
> > So there are quite good reasons (I could give even more) to stick to the
> > team maintenance and I have a personal policy to sponsor only team
> > maintained packages (and I have also good reasons for it).  And I also
> > sponsor from the team VCS rather than mentors.  So while uploading to
> > mentors is OK but not required.  But if you want to get the packages
> > sponsored by a Debian Med team member please commit to our VCS.  If you
> > need any help how to do this we will luckily help you approaching this.
>
> Yes please, I need some more information, I don't know how to do it.

I think at this part of the policy are the helpful hints:

   https://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html#git-tips

If you have some more specific question where you might get struck please
give more details where you specifically might need any help.

Thanks for working on these packages