Re: ITP: r-cran-igraph -- GNU R package for igraph

Hi Andreas,

> > I think at this part of the policy are the helpful hints:
> >
> >    https://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html#git-tips
> >
> > If you have some more specific question where you might get struck please
> > give more details where you specifically might need any help.
>
> Sorry, but I find the information rather confusing.
> I created an ssh key, I copied to my alioth acount and ssh to git.debian.org
> and setup the repository.

I have seen one repository created by the user albac-guest with the name
pkg.git.  It seems you literally followed:

  ssh git.debian.org
  cd /git/debian-med
  ./setup-repository pkg 'Packaging of pkg in Debian'

while this "pkg" was just a placeholder for your package.  I now tried to
enhance the syntax to

  ./setup-repository <pkg> 'Packaging of <pkg> in Debian'

That sound much clear to me! Thanks :)

Do you think this is better?  Since I did not know with what exact package
you wanted to start I did on git.debian.org now:

  ./setup-repository r-cran-fastmatch 'Packaging of r-cran-fastmatch in Debian'

Please do so for the other packages you want to create.

Perfect :)

> (I would like to comment that for new members it is quite hard find how to
> do all this steps, maybe a good improvement for debian-med would be to have
> a simplier instrucctions and step by step, even the most obvious ones for
> the seniors developers could be a great advantage to get started!)

We are really happy about hints like this.  However, the problem is from
a perspective of a senior developer it is sometimes hard to feel like a
newcomer and what needs to be mentioned in what detail.  Any hint you
might like to give how to enhance the documentation after you understood
things due to some explanation here on the list would be welcome.

As you said, once I understand better, I will

> From here on I don't understand how to use git to upload my packages:
> I understand that somewhere I need to create a directory where to upload
> the package? How? Where?

You do not upload any package from the Git repository.  You just commit
your packaging to the repository and the sponsor will pull from there,
check and upload.

You should push your local packaging repository after

  git remote add origin git+ssh://git.debian.org/git/debian-med/<pkg>.git

(and here replace <pkg> by r-cran-fastmatch) via

  git push --all --set-upstream
  git push --tags

Done it!

> Do I have to build the package in the repository or locally and then upload
> it?

The repository is just to develop the packaging.  There is no direct
upload process done from the Git repository.

> Thank you very much,

Hope this helps - feel free to keep on asking

    Andreas.

PS: If you could confirm that you are subscribed to the Debian Med mailing
    list I would stop CCing you - which is the usual list policy.
Yes, I am subscribed to the list.

Thank you very much!

Alba