Re: [MoM] Re: kmer-tools

Hi Afif,

On Thu, May 07, 2015 at 11:07:14PM -0700, Afif Elghraoui wrote:

> >Can you confirm that you get the same?
>
> Yes, I was getting the same. I referenced nonexistent build scripts,
> but I've fixed that and it builds now on my machine.

Fine - same for me.

> Besides this, I've also added a real copyright file (rather than the
> template) as you can see from the commits.

Fine.

> Here are the next steps I see:
>
> - Remove convenience copies of packaged dependencies (via
> get-orig-source) and modify the build system (using quilt patches)
> to use existing Debian packages for them
>
> - Modify build system to make shared libraries rather than static
> ones. (Maybe this is lower priority)

Great.  I see you are perfectly on track with the packaging
requirements.  That's a pleasure for me as a mentor since I have not
much to do. ;-)

> - Separate files into their proper binary packages

Makes sense as discussed previously.

> - Make man pages

Perfect.  I guess you know helpful tools like help2man, ronn, pod2man
etc - whatever might seem to be helpfull for you.

> Am I missing anything else? I think I would be all done after those steps.

Yes, looks good.  Make sure you check with lintian which currently
clames some dh_make templates (did I said I don't like dh_make? ;-)).
But most seems on your todolist so I'll just stay tuned until you come
up with further problems.

> I haven't started investigating all of these things yet. I've only
> read about how to make the man pages (with override_dh_installman
> and the createmanpages script that was in the packaging-template)
> and how to divide the files up by binary package.

This createmanpages script (template!) is something I used to get some
static manpages and edit them later if needed.  If you consider the
result as OK it is fine to call this (adapted!) script inside
override_dh_installman.  You can also have a look in the rules file of
the last-align package[1] which does something like createmanpages right
in debian/rules which was OK for this case.

> I suspect that, for the other parts, I will just need to change
> compiler and linker flags in the Makefiles.
>
> I may file the ITP soon. I've already established an intention to
> package this.

Great.

Feel free to keep on asking here but as far as I see you will have not
much trouble packaging this.

Thanks for your effort

         Andreas.

[1] https://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debian-med/trunk/packages/last-align/trunk/debian/rules?view=markup