Re: Mailing list usage (Was: Reporting of bugs in package VCS repos)

Dear list,

On 23-04-14 16:33, Andreas Tille wrote:
> Hi Roland,
>
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 04:10:53PM +0200, rf@q-leap.de wrote:
>>
>> Hi Andreas,
>>
>>     Andreas> Hi Roland, I'm assuming you intended "List-Reply" and
>>     Andreas> answer in public.
>>
>> indeed :( Isn't it possible to set a "Reply-To: " tag in the messages sent
>> from the list. I'm sure I'll forget to change the "To: field" more often
>
> Hmmm, I have never thought about this but the hint is sensible.  I'm
> personally using mutt which has the List-Reply feature (L) and as far as
> I remember list masters consider this as the recommended way to solve
> this.  Manually changing the To: field is admittedly booring.  Any
> volunteer who is also bored by doing so to approach listmaster about
> this?

This is a very old debate :-). Before changing the Reply-to header, it
may be worth to read "The great reply-to debate" in Karl Fogel's book
"Producing open source software":
http://producingoss.com/en/message-forums.html#reply-to which describes
the pros and cons and gives a recommendation (spoiler: he has a
preference for not changing the Reply-to header). It also links to two
canonical documents in this debate for those who are interested.
Finally, he writes about the Reply-to-list feature of Mutt Andreas
mentions (and which by now also exists in Thunderbird).

>> Now that we're at it :)
>> Would it also be possible to use a tag that identifies the list in the
>> subject line of messages like e.g.
>>
>> Subject: [DebianMed] ...
>>
>> Most mailing lists do this. I think it's a lot easier that way to visually
>> sort things in your mail reader.
>
> The lists on alioth (developer list) are doing this and my procmail
> rules are striping this off.  So I'm personally happy with the lack
> of this but I could deal with some additional tags.  What do others
> think about it?

I personally like having a [list] tag in the subject. For visual
sorting, as mentioned by Roland. However, I currently sort DebianMed
mail based on the From: header and that works fine as well.

Best regards,

Lennart.

--
L.C. Karssen