Re: Starting packaging VistA (Re: LSM in Geneva)

Hi Luis,

On Mon, Jul 09, 2012 at 10:11:09PM -0400, Luis Ibanez wrote:
> 1) We worked today with Brad King and Amul Shah, and
>      solved the last pending issue with the packaging  of
>      fis-gtm when using debuild.  The package generated
>      by debuild now installs and behaves as expected.

Sounds very good!

>      We still have to track the permission issues in the utf8
>      directory when building with cowbuilder...

BTW, I have some news about this issue:  I do *not* think that there is
a difference between debuild and cowbuilder.  I tried debuild on a
Debian testing system with the very same effect.  So it might rather be
a difference between Debian stable and testing/unstable.  My idea was to
create a copy of lintian and add some debugging lines into it to find
out exatly what is done and which call to tar causes the trouble.  May
be this is more enlightening.

> 2) The packaging of VistA itself is very close to complete.
>
>      With Brad we added today the recompilation of all the
>      .m files into .o files, with the proper path to support
>      the $TEXT() function that displays the source code
>      lines of a routine.
>

> 3) The "2012" version was replaced with "0.0.20121206"
>      To indicate that the content of the Git repository is the
>      VistA-FOIA release of "December 6th 2012".

May I borrow your time traveling device? ;-)
I've lost mine somewhere in the future ...

> 4) Lintian reports the following warnings in the VistA package
>
> W: vista source: non-native-package-with-native-version
> W: vista source: debhelper-but-no-misc-depends vista
> W: vista source: debian-rules-uses-pwd line 9
> W: vista source: debian-rules-uses-pwd line 11

Any help needed for this or do you think `lintian -i` gives anough
helping information?

> PENDING ISSUES:
>
> a) Create "vista" user and "vista" group

See my last mail.

> b) Configure VistA to communicate with CPRS
> c) Provide example profile file to set up environment variables
> d) Testing, Testing, Testing...

While testing sounds good I'd like to add the item

  e) consider splitting into sensible units