Re: Starting packaging VistA (Re: LSM in Geneva)

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 8:55 AM, Karsten Hilbert <Karsten.Hilbert@gmx.net> wrote:
On Mon, Jul 09, 2012 at 08:08:32AM -0400, Luis Ibanez wrote:

> B)  Added a "vista.install" file, that lists the files to be included
>       in the .deb package.  Works great so far. The resulting
>       .deb file has the database

Just for my understanding:

Does that mean the vista*.deb contains the fis-gtm mumps
database engine ?

Nope.
It is expected that the fis-gtm package
will be installed previously.

Maybe my terminology is misleading.

Let me try to clarify:
By "database" I refer to the files:

             /var/lib/vista/g/database.*

That contain the internal structure of VistA.

Or does it *depend* on a *fis-gtm* package and will it
contain code to setup a vista database
(schema/layout/tables/whatever it is called in vista land)
in a fis-gtm database engine environment ?

Yes,
this second is a closer to a correct description.

          The package : vista-2012

depends on

          The package : fis-gtm

What the vista-2012 .deb file contains is the
schema/tables...etc.

A lot of the VistA intelligence is in its own data structure
organization. There is also a good deal of "code-like"
material embedded in the "database".

I am asking because I would naively expect 3 packages:

        apt-get install fis-gtm
        apt-get install vista-his-backend
        apt-get install vista-his-client

We will only have:

        apt-get install fis-gtm
        apt-get install vista

One could think of "vista" as a mixture of
backend and (one) client.

In practice, the most used client for VistA is called
CPRS, which is a separate but closely related project
that provides a GUI, built on Delphi, and only works
on... MS Windows.

The CPRS code is included in the Git repository,
but we are not including it in the Debian package.

The current "vista" package provides also access
in the form of "command-line"- client.

This is usually referred to as "roll-and-scroll"
interface to VistA.

The next generation client for VistA will probably
be a Web based system based on EWD, which
is indeed the next project we would like to package
for Debian.     :-)

Note also that GT.M is a demon-less database.

Bhaskar & Amul will be better brains to explain
these features...    :-)

    Thanks

         Luis