Re: Starting packaging VistA (Re: LSM in Geneva)

On Sun, Jul 08, 2012 at 08:44:21AM -0400, Luis Ibanez wrote:

> Yes, that's a good point.
>
> The same question came up on Friday
> among VistA developers.     :-)
>
> http://osehra.org/event/code-convergence-call-thursday-july-12th#comment-640
>
> The good news is that:
>
>            It is indeed the case that updates will be
>            very small compared to the size of VistA itself.

BTw, I tweaked get-orig-source to use xz compression which saves 150MB.

> Again, comparing VistA to Linux: Updates usually come in the
> form of focused updates to one of the many VistA components,
> and very rarely in the form of a whole system-wide update.
>
> Currently VistA is organized into Packages (at least at the file
> representation level). There are about 125 Packages.

I have no idea about VistA but I somehow have the gut feeling that the
plan to put all this into one large package is not the best idea we had.
It might be a better idea to have a 1:1 relation between the VistA
packages and Debian packages.  Please note that this is actually no
suggestion based on knowledge about VistA organisation but as I said
rather a gut feeling.  Perhaps it is possible to establish some
semi-automatic packaging mechanism (like it is for instance done for R
packages).

> ... long stuff deleted ...
>
> Consider the highly simplified scenario:
>
> a) July 2012:   Install VistA
>
> b) August 2012 - April 2015:   Load patient data into VistA
>
> c) September 2015:  Install VistA updates, without losing
>      nor damaging (b)

What I also wonder: How did you decided about the versio number VistA
1.0?

> This certainly will be a great topic for a
> joint hackathon of Debian and VistA developers...     :-)

Seems so.

> At this early point of the VistA Debian packaging, this is certainly
> not intended as the system that you could deploy in a clinical facility.

Yes, we are experimenting.

> The goal rather is to make VistA readily available to anyone who
> want to take a look at the system, and get familiar with it, hopefully
> then joining the VistA community and helping develop, maintain
> and improve the system.

Lets try our best.

Thanks for the long explanation