Re: Packaging VistA - general comments

Hi Bhaskar,

thanks for your comments.

On Mon, Jul 09, 2012 at 06:29:32PM -0400, Bhaskar, K.S wrote:
> For what it's worth, the name "VistA" is owned by the US Department
> of Veterans Affairs (VA).  As the Microsoft OS is called "Windows
> Vista", there is no conflict of names or trademarks.

It just makes a good joke "Debian Vista" :-)

> A VistA distribution (== Debian package size) will be around
> 160-200MB, depending on the VistA distribution (and whether it has
> sample patient data - distributions populated with sample patient
> data tend to be larger).  If you want to break up VistA into
> multiple packages, you will need to create a meta package that
> depends on the individual packages, but all of it VistA will need to
> be present for it to work correctly.

Assumed there would be a reasonable way to split up VistA into
reasonable pieces / packages it is perfectly clear that there need to be
an easy way to fetch them all via a metapckage.  The question for me as
a total outsider is:  Do you see chances for a reasonable split and what
might be reasonable criterions for splitting.  From my perspective the
split could be done into separately upgradable pieces (if these exists -
setting versioned dependencies is a strength of Debian - so this could
be a reasonable approach) or there also might be a criterion for
splitting into separate working fields in a hospital - if those
modularisation is attemped in the KIDS Luis has mentioned.