Re: Starting packaging VistA (Re: LSM in Geneva)

Hi Andreas,

On Tue, Jul 10, 2012 at 4:36 AM, Andreas Tille <andreas@an3as.eu> wrote:

>      We still have to track the permission issues in the utf8
>      directory when building with cowbuilder...

BTW, I have some news about this issue:  I do *not* think that there is
a difference between debuild and cowbuilder.  I tried debuild on a
Debian testing system with the very same effect.  So it might rather be
a difference between Debian stable and testing/unstable.  My idea was to
create a copy of lintian and add some debugging lines into it to find
out exatly what is done and which call to tar causes the trouble.  May
be this is more enlightening.

The hint that we have observed is that the problem is only with files
in the utf8 sub-directory. So, at some point we suspect that umask
was involved somehow. We could still experiment with forcing
permissions in the utf8 directory in the dh_fixperms stage...

I'll try that later today.

> 3) The "2012" version was replaced with "0.0.20121206"
>      To indicate that the content of the Git repository is the
>      VistA-FOIA release of "December 6th 2012".

May I borrow your time traveling device? ;-)
I've lost mine somewhere in the future ...

:-)

mm,... It looks like I have to fix that date..

Now it will be:

                       "0.0.20111206"

> 4) Lintian reports the following warnings in the VistA package
>
> W: vista source: non-native-package-with-native-version
> W: vista source: debhelper-but-no-misc-depends vista
> W: vista source: debian-rules-uses-pwd line 9
> W: vista source: debian-rules-uses-pwd line 11

Any help needed for this or do you think `lintian -i` gives anough
helping information?

I have not taken care of the PWD ones (just replaced with CURDIR),
and the one about misc-depends, was fixed when adding the metapackage.

I'm now getting the following ones:

W: vista source: debhelper-but-no-misc-depends vista-0.0.20121206
W: vista source: maintainer-script-lacks-debhelper-token debian/vista.postinst
W: vista-0.0.20121206: empty-binary-package

BTW,
I forgot to mention that, following Bhaskar suggestion, we now
have two packages:

A)    vista-0.0.20121206
B)    vista   (a metapackage that points to A).

I will appreciate a review here from Debian developers,
because I'm not sure that I did that right.... (the metapackage)

> b) Configure VistA to communicate with CPRS

This still remains to be done

> c) Provide example profile file to set up environment variables

This is done now:

A user can set it its environment by doing:

                    source /var/lib/vista/profile/vista_profile

> d) Testing, Testing, Testing...

Still have to do this testing.

While testing sounds good I'd like to add the item

  e) consider splitting into sensible units

Yeap,...
the package now is  314Mb...

We will bring this topic to our weekly call on Thursday,
and see what VistA experts suggest.

       Luis