Re: About having EMBOSS 6.4.0 in Wheezy or not.

Hi,

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 06:01:45PM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
> I am back from a conference in Singapore and I try to catch up with many Debian
> tasks.  The freeze comes at a moment where I am very busy at work, which is
> unfortunate.

Feel free to be more verbose what tasks you'd consider as most urgent to
do from your perspective.

> EMBOSS version 6.4.0 is available for almost a year, but currently Wheezy
> contains version 6.3.1.  The major blocker for an upgrade is the clarification
> of the redistribution terms of some test files, which is ongoing.  I want to
> send one more update to debian-private and ftpmaster@, to make sure that
> everybody agrees to dismiss the non-free license on these files that do not
> contain creative content.  But given that the current emboss package is already
> affected by this license issue, we probably can update the packages without
> this being a strong misbehaviour, although I usually do not like to upload
> things for which I am not sure if they are acceptable.

I tried to git-buildpackage the emboss package which ended up in

gbp:error: You have uncommitted changes in your source tree:
gbp:error: # On branch master
# Changes not staged for commit:
#   (use "git add/rm <file>..." to update what will be committed)
#   (use "git checkout -- <file>..." to discard changes in working directory)
#
#       deleted:    doc/programs/master/emboss/apps/feattext.html~
#
no changes added to commit (use "git add" and/or "git commit -a")

gbp:error: Use --git-ignore-new to ignore.

I suspect a broken clean target which seems to delete a backup file
which should not be in the tarball at all but is anyway.  I'd consider
it a good idea to have a status of the archive as readily buildable in
any case.

> Ironically, EMBOSS has a one year release cycle with a due date on July 15,
> which will make our frozen package instantly obsolete.  Therefore, if time is
> really short, the simplest is to fix the RC but on embassy-domalign and forget
> about the 6.4.0 line.  Please let me know your thoughts about this.

It might be very reasonable to clarify this point with debian-release.
I'd imagine that they might consider an exception in case the freeze is
before 15.6.  Preparing the packaging to work immediately with 6.5.0
might be another good idea (provided there are some prereleases.